Monday, April 13, 2009

Vacations, mainstreaming, yawn......

I was more than bit relieved to recently hear other parents with special needs kids talking about "separate vacations." I have struggled with this idea of the whole family not taking trips together...it just seems to be one of those sacrosanct things. But, the discussion is about what is fair to your children, typically developed or not. (It is really late so I am going to wish I had written this after I had some sleep....but I know some of you are up right now as well and will understand me anyway) :)

We have had to limit our travel with my daughter because it is more disruptive to her than anything. I think as she is getting older that is improving. But my son, even though he is quite young, is such a social animal and so inquisitive I think he would enjoy most trips. As he gets older he will understand better that our family may not function exactly like other families do and we have to make special considerations. This actually leads to another topic I am fond of---mainstreaming in the classroom.....but I digress.

G'night for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment