Friday, April 10, 2009

Potty trained?

I am often asked if my daughter is potty trained. Even though she is 8, this is a valid question since many children on the Autism Spectrum struggle with potty training for years. It is a difficult question to answer. I know she understands the concept and is aware of her body so she knows when she has to go. She has gone without "accidents" for weeks and weeks at a time before. But generally, now, she is potty trained at school (about 80% of the time) and hardly at all at home. And this can change daily.

Like many ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder) kids, she regresses when there is a lot of stress or change. When we moved to a new house, for example, it was weeks before she would use the potty at the new house.

Also, I believe that in my daughter's case it is a way for her to express herself since she cannot speak. And for the most part, she reserves this particular "language" for me :)

Which brings me to today, like many, many other days. When she is upset with me and/or wants my attention she poops somewhere. Anywhere but the potty and most anywhere I will particularly get upset about. Such as my scrapbooking supplies. Or the middle of my bed. Among books on the floor in my room. Sounds a bit like a puppy, right? Well, I don't think that is too far off. Animals who don't know how else to express themselves find a way, SOME way to tell you what they think. Now, please, nobody freak out that I am mentioning my daughter and a puppy in the same sentence. But for those of you who don't have this experience, I am trying to share as accurately as I can. There is never a dull day!

1 comment:

  1. I'm always intrigued by how this seems to be so difficult for children in the ASD spectrum. I tend to think that, in part, they do better at school because of the high level of structure that's provided in that setting. I've found that sometimes BM accidents reflect an unwillingness to interrupt what they prefer to be doing (like watching a favorite TV show). At other times, it can reflect a more deliberate message to us as parents, as you point out. And at still other times, I think that they're too overwhelmed with whatever is going on that they don't have the extra energy to put into regulating their bodily functions.

    Peace, my friend.

    ReplyDelete